Rainford, Near Liverpool was once the home of a track that was used for speedway training and practice -
The circuit was laid in an area that was once a sand pit and was of red shale, this was undertaken by John Guilfoyle and brothers Ivor and Dick Powel being available for use in 1950. The local council were happy for the venue to be used for speedway training and it was open six days a week, Sunday being the only day it was not used. Cream of the riders who took advantage of this facility were said to be in 1950 Pat Clarke, 1951 Jack Hillard, 1952 the novices who caught the attention were Ray Terry and John Lalley.
When the three year lease ended in 1953 the equipment and safety fence -
Rayleigh Stadium (not to be confused with Rayleigh Weir Stadium) another Essex track that’s history seems to have dissolved from memory over the years -
Reading F.C. Madejski Stadium -
“In 1931, it was announced that a dirt-
Greyhound racing was introduced to the stadium on 1 June 1936.
Many years later, in 1969, Wally Mawdsley and Pete Lansdale proposed to reintroduce speedway to the stadium, so a trial was held for the benefit of council officials on the 14 March. Reg Luckhurst, Martyn Piddock, Judd Drew and Rob Stewart participated in a demonstration race, which was won by Piddock.
Following on from that, Rochester Bombers were originally given planning permission by the City Council to race at the venue but, having ridden their first two away British League Division Two Matches, they found that the Kent County Council had refused to approve the planning application. The team raced a further two away league matches prior to moving into Brookland Stadium at Romford, where they completed their fixtures for the season as Romford Bombers.
A final Greyhound meeting was held at the City Way Stadium on the 4 October 1979, with the venue demolished the following year and the site redeveloped.”
Roman Camp -
Apart for the direct quote from Homes of British Speedway our thanks go to John Jarvis for allowing us to use data from his book.
Click to jump to information
Reading Training Track, Smallmead -